Thursday, March 11, 2010

In progress

I've only been able to sit down and use my new sewing machine a couple times so far. It's a bernina 230 Patchwork Edition. I've learned so far that I absolutely love it. It doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles that the 440 had but I can always trade it in later on. It sews such beautiful stitches, and it sews straight without even touching the fabric. I absolutely love the bright light it has! Unlike the Sears model Janome that I had, this machine can start at the edge of the fabric and doesn't jam up. I love the needle up/down function. The machine has a lot of stitch options, but I haven't had time to play around with them yet.

I'm trying to get started on a sewing area. My house is not the biggest house, and it has no sewing space. I usually sew in the kitchen but cleaning everything up at mealtime is not that enjoyable. I plan to finish half of the attic in order to have a sewing room. Last week we went to pick up some old kitchen cabinets from one of my father-in-law's properties. I plan to paint them white and use them as the base for a sewing table. While I was in the attic cleaning I found many more UFO's. The little blocks are a thangles project that I bought at the Lancaster quilt show at least 4 years ago. They are cute, and need some attention. Hopefully I can work on them this weekend because it sounds like a good sewing weekend with all the rain that is in the forecast.


I joined a potholder swap a few days ago. I thought I had the heat safe batting at home for in them, but I must have used it all in some Christmas presents last year. I need to run to Joann's and get some this weekend. I did get them started last night. I like how the tops turned out. I just swapped the fabrics for the second one. I'm trying to decide if I want to put loops to hang them with on or not. I hope my swap partner will like them.

Monday was the start of week two for the Pinwheel Quilt along. I made block A-2, which went together pretty quickly. I can't wait for next monday to make the third block.

1 comment:

  1. How fun to be planning a sewing space! Love your pinwheel blocks! Enjoy the new machine.

    ReplyDelete